Monday, March 16, 2009

Newsletter 3- Part 3

Blog Tips:
•Colored fonts on a colored background usually look annoying. If I have to squint to read your blog lets just say I won’t read it.
•Don’t rip other bloggers off. We work hard to develop our features so don’t change the name and try to make it your own with out talking to us and giving us credit. For example we see the in my mail box all over now. Make sure you at least credit Kristi or Alea the first time with a link to their blog. Changing the name does not hide the fact that it was someone other than yours first. I have seen this sadly.
•Don’t butter up your reviews to get free books. If I read a review that says, “This was the most amazing, inspirational, funny, cute and charming book I have ever read,” it makes me want to throw up. You sound as fake as Barbie’s dimensions.

Carols Blog Spotlight:
1. Why did you start blogging?
I started blogging because I wanted a place to post my opinions of the books that I've read. Plus, I have a huge ego that can only be pleased with loads of comments on my posts. :D (j/k)
2. Why did you choose YA as your main focus? (I know you talked about this on your blog the other day but...I still think it's a good question for future Blogger Spotlights :)
I'm a teen so it's reasonable that I will start a YA blog and read YA books. I love reading YA books, all that angst, romance, cattiness...it's like my high school but in a book and I get to "live" as the main character. :)
3. What's your favorite thing about blogging?
The comments that I get from my readers, the fact that I get to chat with authors or interview them, and that I get to read some really good books months before they come out. Oh, and that I get to chat with a lot of cool bloggers! :)
4. How did you gain more traffic to your site?
Umm...I asked other bloggers to add me to their link list (politely); I had contests (I still do!); and I sometimes send out bulletins in Myspace.
5. What are some advice you can give to fellow Bloggers?
Not to bite off more than they can chew. Basically don't request a ton of books because then reading and reviewing won't be fun because whenever you look at your TBR pile, you'll be very stressed. I'm not a good advice giver so I suggest looking at Kristi's blogging tips.

Geek Fest:
http://ya-bookaholic.blogspot.com/2009/02/100-posts-contest.html is where Geek Fest will be located.
Who’s coming?
• Zoe Marriot
• Justina Chen Headley
• Susan Juby
• Laurie Faria Stolarz
• Lisa Manchev
• Jody Gehrman
• Eileen Cook
• Jillian Cantor
• Tina Ferraro
• Lisa Ann Sandell
• Maria V Snyder
• Lauren Henderson
• Adele of Persnickity Snark
• Sarah of Sarah's Random Musings
• Hope of Hope's Bookshelf
• Cassandra Clare
• Nancy Werlin
• Deb Caletti

What can you win?
• Daughter of the Flames by Zoe Marriott
• The Swan Kingdom by Zoe Marriott
• What Would Emma Do? by Eileen Cook
• How to Hook a Hottie by Tina Ferraro
• Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell
• A Map of the Known World (ARC) by Lisa Ann Sandell

Quotes about Geek Fest:
“It's all about geeks. I've always loved the intellectual camaraderie I've felt with other self-proclaimed geeks. It's a pretty amazing feeling, and I'd like to share it through Geek Fest."
"Geek Fest will be a celebration for all the self-proclaimed geeks out there, hosted by the reviewers at The Not So Closet Geeks."

Spotlighted Books:
Are you looking for the perfect book to read, but can’t seem to find one? Then you are at the right spot! I have scrounged up a list of 5 different wonderful young adult books for you to enjoy!

“The Season” by Sarah MacLean
“The Season” is a fabulous novel about coming of age, mystery, and falling love. I loved it, and suggest it to everyone who has an interest in Regenery England time and is a teen girl!

“Zombie Queen of Newbury High” by Amanda Ashby
This is a book that is all about zombies, love, and a teen girl’s life! It is a fun, fast, book that makes you feel happy!

“The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants” by Anne Brasheres
If you haven’t already read this series, now is the time to start! They are all about 4 best friends who share a pair of pants, which help keep them together during the summer when they are apart. Throughout reading the books, you grow attached to the characters and want to read more!

“Bog Child” by Sioban Dowd
In this book, a boy finds a dead girl in the bog. Throughout the story, the mystery of her death unfolds and a budding relationship forms with him and Cora. This was a neat book, and different!

“The Spring of Candy Apples” by Debbie Vigue
This is the 4th in the Sweet Season Novels. These are books about Candance, who works at a theme park called “The Zone.” She always seems to find herself in the center of attention and seems to always have some type of problem while working there! Sweet Season books are fun, light, and satisfying Christian reads.

Newsletter Stats:
We have 42 people working.
We have 81 subscribers.

In newsletter one only 2 people didn’t do their job! That means 95% did! Way to go guys!!!!

In newsletter two 8 people were unable to do their job. 2 of those were excused so we wont count them. That means 86% did their job. Not bad but I know we can do better

Book Sites:
• http://onlinebookclub.org/
• http://www.readingrants.org/?page_id=517
• http://www.booktalk.org/

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Season by Sarah MacLean sounds interesting and thanks for the blog tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!

    (And I can't wait for The Season!)

    ReplyDelete