Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Newsletter 2 part 3

UK Book
This book sounds really interesting. Jenny sent me the info on it and either she is great at knowing how to make a book sound good or it really is. Black Rabbit Summer by Kevin Brooks.

Pete Boland was busy doing nothing that summer. Long, stiflingly hot, lazy days stretched ahead of him. Then she called. "Listen, Pete . . . you know that funfair, up at the recreation ground . . . I thought we could all meet up . . . You know, for old times' sake." But, where there are old times, there are old tensions. And as secrets, bitterness and jealousies resurface, five old friends are plunged into the worst night of their lives . . .

“Once I started this book, it was impossible for me to put down. It's one of the most suspenseful books I've ever read, and keeps you guessing until the very end. It also has a brilliant cover, which relates to the story in every way possible.”
“Kevin Brooks is amongst my favourite UK authors, as he writes gritty, realistic thrillers that stay in your head for days after finishing them.”

The Read Carpet
We successful launched our second episode after technical issues plaguing production. Our second episode tackled the all important subject of love as Valentine's Day occurred. Zombies may not fit into that topic but they do love flesh!

We have been lucky to have several authors comment, link and mention our podcast in the past few weeks. That has been beyond thrilling as has the great response from the YA community.

The third episode, to be released at the end of the month will see the return of the first group of contributors for their second segment. We would love to have some other voices in the show, so please consider calling into our voicemail or emailing in!

We want to hear your new finds; the authors that inspire you, a character that can make you melt, etc. How you think Adele's The List was a complete load of tripe! Share what you are passionate about in the YA-verse.

We're Reading...
Ashley and Katie are reading Sophomore Switch.
Lisette is reading The Elite, In Too Deep, Shadowed Summer, An Abundance of Katherines, and The Girl She Used to Be.
Hope is reading Wintergirls.
Laina is reading Vamps by Nancy Collins.
http://carriesyabookshelf.blogspot.com/ is reading Evermore.
Lisa May is reading Sliding on the Edge by C. Lee. McKenzie.
Just Listen is reading Somebody’s Crying by Maureen McCarthy.
Erika Lynn is reading Sloppy Firsts.
Steph is reading Luxe, Mrs. Perfect, and Diary of a Chav.
Renee is reading Worldweavers and thinking its hard to get through.
Shooting Stars is reading The ABC’s of Kissing Boys.
Prophecy Girl is reading Numbers by Rachel Ward.
Travis is reading Look Both Ways by Jacquelyn.
Jenny is reading The Knife of Never Letting Go.
Polo Pony is reading Cracked up to Be.
Megan is reading I heart You, You Haunt Me.
Gabrielle is reading The Boyfriend List, Lord of Misrule and The Time Travelers Wife.
Sarah is reading Envy: A Luxe Novel.
Tru Blu is reading The Center of the Universe.
Jill is Reading Just Like That.
Paper Movies is reading Tweak, The Hunger Games and The Book Thief.

releases
The Anatomy of Wings by Karen Foxlee (feb 10)
Eternal by Cynthia Leitich Smith (feb 10)
Fade by Lisa McMann (feb 10)
Dope Sick by Walter Dean Myers (feb 10)
Miss Match by Wendy Toliver (feb 10)
Raven by Allison Van Diepen (feb 10)
Shadowed Summer by Saundra Mitchell (feb 10)
Skeleton Creek by Patrick Carman (feb 10)
In Mike We Trust by P.E Ryan (feb 17)
It's A Green Thing (Diary of a Teenage Girl) book 2 by Melody Carlson (feb 17)
Alis by Naomi Rich (feb 19)
Great Call of China by Cynthea Liu (feb 19)
Response by Paul Volponi (feb 19)
The Season by Sarah Maclean (March 2nd)
The Amaranth Enchantment- Julie Berry (March 3rd)
Dark Guardian No. 1: Moonlight- Rachel Hawthorne (March 3rd)
Just One Wish by Janette Rallison (March 5th)
Hunted- PC Cast (March 10th)
Brutal by Michael Harmon (March 10th)

Blog Tips
Music on your blog is cool but please none of that bang your head junk. You want me to read your full review and comment? Then don’t give me a headache.
Don’t comment someone’s blog advertising your own. If you just reviewed the same book go ahead and tell me but don’t leave me a link to your blog. Maybe I’m just picky but I feel like its downgrading someone’s work.
Not every other word needs to be bad. I get your point if you say you hate a book. No need to throw in 8 Fu**s and 6 Cra*s. (Sorry to be so blunt but I noticed this recently :( )
Sidebar etiquette is important. If your sidebars are a mile long things just look messy. No need to have 5 new release tickers, a million links and pages worth of information. Keep things clean.


Past Week
Visit The Story Siren to learn how you can win free ARCs of Lisa Mantchev's Eyes Like Stars
Win The September Sisters by Jillian Cantor at YA Book Realm
Enter to win a signed copy of Zoƫ Marriott's new book, Daughter of the Flames, at The Magic of Ink
Bookworm Chrysalis reviewed Kristin Cashore's Graceling "It was a solidly good book, but as I said above about the villain, it seemed like it lacked a level of complexity I would have liked - though I can't pinpoint what exactly I felt was missing."
Read an advance-review of Severed Ties by Kevin Krohn at Just Blinded Book Reviews "Severed Ties was so unique to me--the plot, the characters, and the writing were so original! Even though it was short-less than two hundred pages-it was filled to the brim with everything a much larger book could hold."
The Book Girl reviewed Laura Faria Stolaz's Deadly Little Secret "So this book was simply amazing. I can't believe I haven't read any of Laurie's books before this, despite the fact that I own each one."
The Book Obsession enjoyed Beastly by Alex Flinn "This novel was absolutely outstanding! One of the best novels I have read in a long time. I was so into the book I would read a hundred pages and it would seem as if only a second went by. This is the first I have read from Alex Flinn and it will not be the last. Her writing style is absolutely enchanting."
prophecygirl at Wondrous Reads reviewed Gayle Forman's If I Stay "I have a feeling that If I Stay may be one of those books that sells millions of copies, wins numerous awards, and inspires people to pick up a pen and tell a story of their own."

2 comments:

  1. Aesthetic or etiquette? I think sidebars are that are organized, updated and have purpose/relevance are useful. They can provide a static source of resources. Readers and bloggers who value references and updates appreciate balance and purpose. I want more than a pretty page, I want content.

    Or you can just call me messy. I've been called worse. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the book Black Rabbit Summer, Haven't read it yet, but own it.

    ReplyDelete